The incident in question took place late Saturday night during a rave-type concert at the Middlebury amusement park, when four teens suddenly dropped to the ground due to an overdose of Ketamine and 2C-P — hallucinogens.
“This, of course, was not on the agenda until Sunday morning when I saw it in the paper,” says Noel Federle, chairperson of SMART, a prevention council for the towns of Middlebury and Southbury.
The meeting, which is open to the public, will take place at 7 p.m. in Room 205 at Southbury Town Hall on Tuesday, Sept. 24.
While the Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA) maintains a page on its website dedicated to Ketamine, there is no mention of 2C-P and a search online for that drug yields no real credible results. A representative from the DEA's New England Division was also not immediately available Monday afternoon.
"I know nothing about it," Middlebury's Acting Police Chief Richard Wildman tells Patch. "The doctors know nothing about it."
While the youngsters who overdosed are apparently not from the immediate area, according to police, SMART still feels an obligation to address the issue.
"They don’t have to be our students for us to do something about it,” Federle says.
"Ideally, what we’d like to do is reach out to our local selectmen and police stations and possibly someone from the schools to sit down and discuss it as a community," she continues. "It needs to be everyone looking at it as a community concern.”
— Jaimie Cura contributed to this report.