Today is Thursday, August 16, the 229th day of the year.
Today's Top Headlines
Thursday: Patchy fog before 10 a.m. Otherwise, sunny, with a high near 86. Northwest wind 3 to 8 mph.
Events & Reminders
- Books, puzzles, games and coloring activities as well as special drinks for children and adults during Family Fun Night at .
Today in History
- 1987 – Northwest Airlines Flight 255 a McDonnell Douglas MD-82 crashes after take off in Detroit, killing 154 of the 155 on board, plus 2 people on the ground.
- 1942 – World War II: The two-person crew of the U.S. naval blimp L-8 disappears without a trace on a routine anti-submarine patrol over the Pacific Ocean. The blimp drifts without her crew and crash-lands in Daly City, California.
- 1930 – The first color sound cartoon, called Fiddlesticks, is made by Ub Iwerks.
- 1920 – Ray Chapman of the Cleveland Indians is hit on the head by a fastball thrown by Carl Mays of the New York Yankees, and dies early the next day. Chapman was the second player to die from injuries sustained in a Major League Baseball game, the first being Doc Powers in 1909.
Weather information taken from the National Weather Service. Today in History compiled from Wikipedia and other sources.