Today is Tuesday, August 28, the 241st day of the year.
Today's Top Headlines
Tuesday: Showers and thunderstorms likely, mainly before 1 p.m. Some of the storms could produce gusty winds and heavy rain. Cloudy, then gradually becoming mostly sunny, with a high near 83. Southwest wind 5 to 10 mph becoming northwest in the afternoon. Chance of precipitation is 60 percent. New rainfall amounts between a quarter and half of an inch possible.
Events & Reminders
- Residents can particpate in Beginner's Meditation in Chairs at the .
Today in History
- 1991 – Collapse of the Soviet Union – Mikhail Gorbachev resigns as General Secretary of the Soviet Communist Party.
- 1963 – March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom: Martin Luther King, Jr. gives his I Have a Dream speech
- 1955 – Black teenager Emmett Till is murdered in Mississippi, galvanizing the nascent American Civil Rights Movement.
- 1898 – Caleb Bradham invents the carbonated soft drink that will later be called "Pepsi-Cola".
Weather information taken from the National Weather Service. Today in History compiled from Wikipedia and other sources.