Today is Friday, August 3, the 216th day of the year.
Today's Top Headlines
Friday: A slight chance of showers and thunderstorms after 1 p.m. Mostly sunny, with a high near 88. Light southwest wind increasing to 5 - 9 mph in the morning. Chance of precipitation is 20 percent.
Events & Reminders
- Check out a Movie on the Green to benefit the Southbury Food Bank at .
Today in History
- 2004 – The pedestal of the Statue of Liberty reopens after being closed since the September 11 attacks.
- 1972 – The United States Senate ratifies the Anti-Ballistic Missile Treaty.
- 1936 – Jesse Owens wins the 100 meter dash, defeating Ralph Metcalfe, at the Berlin Olympics.
- 1921 – Major League Baseball Commissioner Kenesaw Mountain Landis confirms the ban of the eight Chicago Black Sox, the day after they were acquitted by a Chicago court.
Weather information taken from the National Weather Service. Today in History compiled from Wikipedia and other sources.