Today is Thursday, August 9, the 222nd day of the year.
Today's Top Headlines
Thursday: A slight chance of showers, then a chance of showers and thunderstorms after 11 a.m. Patchy fog before 8 a.m. Otherwise, partly sunny, with a high near 85. Calm wind becoming south 5 to 7 mph in the afternoon. Chance of precipitation is 30 percent.
Events & Reminders
- Books, puzzles, games and coloring activities as well as special drinks for children and adults are offered during Family Fun Night at .
Today in History
- 1974 – As a direct result of the Watergate scandal, Richard Nixon becomes the first President of the United States to resign from office. His Vice President, Gerald Ford, becomes president.
- 1969 – Followers led by Charles Manson murder pregnant actress Sharon Tate (wife of Roman Polanski), coffee heiress Abigail Folger, Polish actor Wojciech Frykowski, men's hairstylist Jay Sebring and recent high-school graduate Steven Parent.
- 1942 – Indian leader Mahatma Gandhi is arrested in Bombay by British forces, launching the Quit India Movement.
- 1936 – Summer Olympic Games: Games of the XI Olympiad – Jesse Owens wins his fourth gold medal at the games becoming the first American to win four medals in one Olympiad.
- 1854 – Henry David Thoreau published Walden.
Weather information taken from the National Weather Service. Today in History compiled from Wikipedia and other sources.