Today is Monday, July 16, the 198th day of the year.
Today's Top Headlines
Monday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 91. West wind 3 - 8 mph.
Events & Reminders
- Local author and English instructor Steve Parlato is back with a two-part class on writing poetry at the .
Today in History
- 1999 – John F. Kennedy, Jr., piloting a Piper Saratoga aircraft, dies when his plane crashes into the Atlantic Ocean off the coast of Martha's Vineyard. His wife Carolyn Bessette-Kennedy and sister-in-law Lauren Bessette are also killed.
- 1969 – Apollo program: Apollo 11, the first manned space mission to land on the Moon, is launched from the Kennedy Space Center at Cape Canaveral, Florida.
- 1945 – Manhattan Project: the Atomic Age begins when the United States successfully detonates a plutonium-based test nuclear weapon near Alamogordo, New Mexico.
- 1941 – Joe DiMaggio hits safely for the 56th consecutive game, a streak that still stands as a MLB record.
Weather information taken from the National Weather Service. Today in History comiled from Wikipedia and other sources.