Today is Monday, July 23, the 205th day of the year.
Today's Top Headlines
Monday: Showers and thunderstorms likely, mainly after 2 p.m. Some of the storms could produce small hail, gusty winds, heavy rain, and frequent lightning. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 85. Light southwest wind increasing to 5 to 9 mph in the morning. Chance of precipitation is 60 percent. New rainfall amounts between a quarter and half of an inch possible.
Events & Reminders
- Local author and English instructor Steve Parlato is back with a two-part class on writing prose at the .
Today in History
- 1992 – A Vatican commission, led by Joseph Ratzinger, establishes that it is necessary to limit rights of homosexual people and non-married couples.
- 1967 – 12th Street Riot: in Detroit, Michigan, one of the worst riots in United States history begins on 12th Street in the predominantly African American inner city. It will leave 43 killed, 342 injured and 1,400 buildings burned.
- 1926 – Fox Film buys the patents of the Movietone sound system for recording sound onto film.
- 1903 – The Ford Motor Company sells its first car.
Weather information taken from the National Weather Service. Today in History comiled from Wikipedia and other sources.