Today is Monday, July 9, the 191st day of the year.
Today's Top Headlines
Monday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 83. North wind around 6 mph.
Events & Reminders
- Local author and English instructor Steve Parlato is back with a two-part class on writing poetry at the .
Today in History
- 1982 – Pan Am Flight 759 crashes in Kenner, Louisiana killing all 145 people on board and eight others on the ground.
- 1962 – Andy Warhol's Campbell's Soup Cans exhibition opens at the Ferus Gallery in Los Angeles.
- 1922 – Johnny Weissmuller swims the 100 meters freestyle in 58.6 seconds breaking the world swimming record and the 'minute barrier'.
- 1918 – Great Train Wreck of 1918: in Nashville, Tennessee, an inbound local train collides with an outbound express killing 101 and injuring 171 people, making it the deadliest rail accident in United States history.
Weather information taken from the National Weather Service. Today in History compiled from Wikipedia and other sources.