Today is Tuesday, September 11, the 255th day of the year.
Today's Top Headlines
Tuesday: Sunny, with a high near 74. North wind 5 to 8 mph.
Events & Reminders
- The Alzheimer’s Association, Connecticut Chapter, sponsors support groups for family caregivers at the
Today in History
- 2001 – In the USA three hijacked aircraft are deliberately crashed into the twin World Trade Center towers (which collapse) in New York City and the Pentagon in Arlington, Virginia, in a co-ordinated attack which became known as "9/11". Another hijacked airliner in the same attack crashes in a field near Shanksville, Pennsylvania. Nearly 3,000 people are killed.
- 1985 – Pete Rose breaks Ty Cobb's baseball record for most career hits with his 4,192nd hit
- 1976 – A group of Croatian nationalists planted a bomb in a coin locker at Grand Central Terminal. After stating political demands, they revealed the location and provided instructions for disarming the bomb. The disarming operation was not executed properly, killing one NYPD bomb squad specialist.
- 1954 – Hurricane Edna hits New England as a Category 3 hurricane, causing significant damage and 29 deaths.
Weather information taken from the National Weather Service. Today in History compiled from Wikipedia and other sources.