Today is Thursday, September 6, the 250th day of the year.
Today's Top Headlines
Thursday: A slight chance of showers and thunderstorms after 3 p.m. Patchy fog before 9 a.m. Otherwise, mostly sunny, with a high near 82. Calm wind becoming south 5 to 7 mph in the afternoon. Chance of precipitation is 20 percent.
Events & Reminders
- Books, puzzles, games and coloring activities as well as special drinks for children and adults are offered during Family Fun Night at .
Today in History
- 1995 – Cal Ripken Jr of the Baltimore Orioles plays in his 2,131st consecutive game, breaking a record that stood for 56 years.
- 1966 – In Cape Town, South Africa, the architect of Apartheid, Prime Minister Hendrik Verwoerd, is stabbed to death during a parliamentary meeting.
- 1949 – A former sharpshooter in World War II, Howard Unruh kills 13 neighbors in Camden, New Jersey, with a souvenir Luger to become the first U.S. single-episode mass murderer.
- 1847 – Henry David Thoreau leaves Walden Pond and moves in with Ralph Waldo Emerson and his family in Concord, Massachusetts.
Weather information taken from the National Weather Service. Today in History compiled from Wikipedia and other sources.