Today is Friday, September 7, the 251st day of the year.
Today's Top Headlines
Friday: A chance of showers and thunderstorms, mainly after noon. Partly sunny, with a high near 85. Calm wind becoming south 5 to 8 mph in the afternoon. Chance of precipitation is 30 percent.
Events & Reminders
- Get a workout and burn calories in tennis made simple for returning or new adult players looking to relieve stress at .
Today in History
- 2008 – The US Government takes control of the two largest mortgage financing companies in the US, Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac.
- 2004 – Hurricane Ivan, a Category 5 hurricane hits Grenada, killing 39 and damaging 90% of its buildings.
- 1963 – The Pro Football Hall of Fame opens in Canton, Ohio with 17 charter members.
- 1916 – US federal employees win the right to Workers' compensation by Federal Employers Liability Act (39 Stat. 742; 5 U.S.C. 751)
Weather information taken from the National Weather Service. Today in History compiled from Wikipedia and other sources.