[UPDATE]: 9 p.m., Feb. 10
Southbury First Selectman Ed Edelson has advised residents traveling on town roadways to use caution, especially at intersections were snow remains and restricts the line of sight.
“We're still advising people to stay off the roads, but if you absolutely need to travel tonight or tomorrow, please drive well below the posted speed limit,” he said. “With the freezing rain coming, any large piles of snow will glaze over with ice and become jersey barriers."
The Southbury Public Works crews will begin work at midnight to move snow piles at intersections, according to Edelson.
The Southbury Library will be closed tomorrow, Monday, Feb. 11. The closure is due to the fact that the library parking lot and the sidewalks still need work, and that snow piles at the end of the exits are causing a hazard.
[UPDATE]: 2:15 p.m., Feb. 10
All Region 15 schools have been closed tomorrow, Monday, Feb. 11. All school activities have also been cancelled.
[UPDATE]: 1:30 p.m., Feb. 10
Gov. Dannel P. Malloy today announced that his request for a presidential emergency declaration in the wake of Friday’s historic winter storm has been approved. In addition, he is urging residents to continue staying off the roads today unless absolutely necessary.
[UPDATE]: 12 p.m., Feb. 10
No decision has been made on the status of Region 15 schools as of 12 p.m. Sunday.
“Any decision whether to hold school on Monday or not will be posted on our district and school websites,” said the region.
Patch will continue to monitor the situation throughout the day and alert readers when a decision has been made.
[UPDATE]: 9 p.m., Feb. 9
Every home in Southbury has power at 9 p.m. Saturday, according to CL&P.
Southbury First Selectman Ed Edelson applauded the work by several units in the clean up and restoration efforts.
"Good work by CL&P under difficult circumstances," Edelson said on Facebook. "Our Public Work crew has done a tremendous job last night and all day today. More road clearing will be done tomorrow."
"We have limited Public Works crew tonight to assist emergency response. Full crew will be back to work tomorrow morning. Their task moves from pushing snow to clear the road for vehicles to removing the large banks of snow. Please be patient and limit road travel to give them space to work," he said.
[UPDATE]: 6:30 p.m., Feb. 9
25 homes remain without power in Southbury as of 6:30 p.m., according to CL&P.
Statewide there are 35,000 homes without power.
[UPDATE]: 4 p.m., Feb. 9
Edelson said the town is working with CL&P right now to restore power to the 25 homes that remain without electricity.
He added that residents should continue to avoid traveling on roadways, as most roads need to be plowed twice due to significant snowdrifts.
Road crews are out, but are working on a limited basis, and will be out on town roads again tomorrow.
“Please be patient, as the volume of snow is challenging,” said Edelson.
[UPDATE]: 2:30 p.m., Feb. 9
Over 100 homes have had the lights turned back on this afternoon in Southbury.
Just 25 homes remain without power at 2:30 p.m., according to CL&P.
Earlier this morning Edelson said power restoration was a first priority in the storm recovery and that the town was working with CL&P crews to do that as quickly as possible.
Statewide 37,500 homes covered by CL&P, 3 percent, are without power.
[UPDATE]: 12:30 p.m., Feb. 9
Gov. Malloy briefs Connecticut residents on the impact of the historic blizzard, which is being blamed for at least one death, and gives an update on the latest restoration efforts.
[UPDATE]: 11:35 a.m., Feb. 9
Southbury First Selectman Ed Edelson said Southbury is in “good shape” in a CODE RED message issued Saturday morning.
Edelson said the town is currently working with CL&P to restore power to the 147 homes that are currently in the dark at 11:35 a.m.
Town roads are still not complete, and crews will work until noon Saturday, before taking a brief rest. Crews will then going back out again to work on additional plowing and road widening.
There are no shelters currently open in Southbury.
“Stay off roads and stay safe,” said Edelson.
[UPDATE]: 8:45 a.m., Feb. 9
The snowfall has ended, but the storm that rocked the region the past 24 hours left behind 21” of snow in Southbury, according to the National Weather Service.
It will take some time to dig out, but it seems the town made it through the storm rather unscathed, with very low power outage numbers and no significant accidents.
The Southbury Police said residents "really did what they were asked to do" and stayed off the roads, preventing any noteworthy incidents during the storm.
Attention is now turned to clearing the town roads, and Southbury First Selectman Ed Edelson has asked all residents to stay off roadways.
“A very impressive snowfall. But it appears that the storm has moved out,” said Edelson Saturday morning. “Please stay off the roads to give the road crew a chance to clear the roads to make our town safe for any potential emergency.”
Gov. Malloy has ordered all roads in the state closed until further notice. The traffic ban extends to all vehicles except for those emergency response and recovery vehicles with the capacity to maneuver in heavy snow.
"It's critical right now that residents stay off the roads, so that our plows can continue their efforts to clear our streets and highways," said Malloy. "This is a record setting storm. It's going to take time to dig out of the snow. Stalled or abandoned vehicles will only slow that process. Unless you face an emergency, please stay put."
Power outages have remained low and constant in Southbury, with 146 homes, or 1 percent of the town, without power as of 8:45 a.m. Saturday, according to CL&P.
Statewide 37,000 homes are without power.
As you venture outside, be sure to add your snow photos and videos to our Neighborhood Gallery or directly to this article.
[UPDATE]: 11 p.m., Feb. 8
Power outage numbers have remained low in Southbury, with 146 homes, or 1 percent of the town, without power as of 11 p.m. Friday, according to CL&P.
Statewide 30,000 homes are in the dark tonight.
[UPDATE]: 9 p.m., Feb. 8
As expected, with high winds and heavy snowfall, power outages have begun in Southbury.
As of 9 p.m. 121 homes, or 1 percent of town, is without power, according to CL&P.
Statewide 20,000 homes, 1 percent of the state, are in the dark Friday night.
Check back with Southbury Patch for updates on power outages and other storm related news.
[UPDATE]: 7 p.m., Feb. 8
Here are two important phone numbers to keep handy as the wind picks up and we head into the overnight hours:
1-800-286-2000: to report a power outage to CL&P
1-888-438-2427: for any Charter service related questions
[UPDATE]: 5:30 p.m., Feb. 8
The snow is starting to pick up and the wind is beginning to whip through Southbury as the brunt of the snowstorm begins to enter the area.
The worst of the storm is expected to come this evening into the overnight hours with the CT Department of Emergency Services and Public Protection (DESPP) calling for blizzard conditions with snowfall rates up to 5” per hour and zero visibilities at times.
Northeast wind gusts may get as high as 50 MPH inland and moderate power outages are expected, according to the DESPP.
As of 5:30 p.m. CL&P is reporting very few outages, with less than 1 percent of the state in the dark and no homes without power in Southbury, though that number is expected to rise this evening.
[UPDATE]: 4 p.m., Feb. 8
Gov. Malloy has announced that there will be a ban on motor vehicle travel on limited access highways in Connecticut beginning at 4 p.m. The highways will be open for emergency response and recovery vehicles, including public safety and utility vehicles.
“As the weather gets worse over the next few hours, we need to keep the roads clear, so that emergency-related personnel and utility crews can reach those that may need our help,” Malloy said. “By traveling in these conditions, you are not only putting yourself in danger, but you are potentially risking the lives of first responders, utility workers and other residents. Please be safe.”
Malloy said the travel ban would remain in effect until further notice.
[UPDATE]: 2:45 p.m., Feb. 8
The Parks and Recreation has cancelled all Friday and Saturday activities due to the snowstorm.
The department had been holding out hope for Saturday afternoon events, but added that to their list of cancellations.
Sunday's activities will be determined Sunday morning by 7:30 a.m. Residents are encouraged to check their emails, or call the department info line (203) 262-0633 for updated closings for the weekend.
[UPDATE]: 1:15 p.m., Feb. 8
No shelters have been opened in Southbury as of 1:15 p.m., according to Edelson.
Edelson is expected to issue more updates throughout the storm, including updates on shelters in the area.
During Winter Storm Alfred last winter Southbury opened a regional shelter at Pomperaug High School and a “Comfort Zone” at the Southbury Senior Center.
[UPDATE]: 12:15 p.m., Feb. 8
All town offices were closed at noon, including the library, senior center and the transfer station, according to a CODE RED message issued by Southbury First Selectman Ed Edelson at 12 p.m. Friday.
Edelson has declared all town roads open only for emergency vehicles.
“The Governor is urging motorists to stay off state roads and plans to close all state highways to non-emergency vehicles early this afternoon,” said Edelson. “In accordance with this state-wide directive, I am urging all residents to stay off town roads and declaring that town roads will be open only for emergency vehicles, coinciding with the Governor’s travel ban on state roads.”
Edleson also urged all residents to park off of town roadways to make plowing easier.
[UPDATE]: 11 a.m., Feb. 8
Southbury emergency officials are preparing for the next 24-48 and the force Winter Storm Nemo may bring with it.
The Southbury Volunteer Fire Department has completed all equipment checks and has all apparatus fully fueled and ready to respond when called.
“We will be monitoring the weather situation, especially this evening as the worst of the storm is forecast to begin,” said Southbury Firefighter Lieutenant Jason Decremer. “We urge all residents to have storm preparations done within the next two hours and remain off the roads.”
[UPDATE]: 10 a.m., Feb. 8
Southbury town offices are open this morning, however, it is quite likely that there will be early dismissal, according to First Selectman Ed Edelson. If residents need to use town services or work with one of the offices, they should try to do so before noon.
“I encourage everyone to take this storm very seriously,” said Edelson on his Facebook page. “Please use this time to prepare for the blizzard and be off the roads by mid-afternoon.”
The Probate Court is closed today due to the impending storm. The court will resume normal hours beginning Monday.
Southbury’s Peter Pan Bus Service has also been canceled for Friday.
[UPDATE]: 9 a.m., Feb. 8
The town has cancelled all Friday afternoon, Friday evening and Saturday morning activities due to the impending storm. Southbury Parks and Recreation said they will attempt to play Saturday afternoon games, depending on the weather.
The decision for Saturday afternoon will be made by 11 a.m. tomorrow. Residents should call the recreation hotline at (203) 262-0633 for schedule information.
Schools, along with all Region 15 events, are also cancelled today.
[UPDATE]: 8:20 a.m., Feb. 8
As the first flakes of Winter Storm Nemo begin to fall on Southbury let’s visit the latest up to the minute forecast throughout the day Friday.
The forecast over the next few hours will bring a mix of snow and freezing rain.
“Snow will develop by 9 a.m. then become mixed with freezing rain or sleet around noon. Cloudy with increasing winds. Temperatures steady near the upper 20s. Winds ENE at 15 to 20 mph. Chance of precipitation 85 percent. Snowfall of 2 to 3 inches through 1:30 p.m,” according to the National Weather Service.
Tonight is when Southbury will feel the heaviest impact of Nemo, with over a foot of snow and heavy winds expected to create poor visibility and possible power outages.
“Snow, heavy at times. Gusty winds will lead to blizzard conditions. Low 18F. Winds N at 25 to 35 mph. Snow accumulating 10 to 15 inches. Winds could occasionally gust over 50 mph,” according to the National Weather Service.
As the snow comes down, be sure to add your photos and videos to our Neighborhood Gallery or directly to this article.
[UPDATE]: 4:50 p.m., Feb. 7
All Region 15 schools have been closed tomorrow, Friday, Feb. 8. All school activities have also been cancelled.
[UPDATE]: 4:30 p.m., Feb. 7
Southbury has begun gearing up for Winter Storm Nemo, which is expected to enter the area tomorrow afternoon dropping over 12” of snow on the region over a 24-hour period.
Water is being stocked at ShopRite in the Southbury Green, DPW trucks are filling up with salt and sand, and residents are bustling around town attempting to get their last minute errands done before they are snowed in this weekend.
The state is also preparing for the weather. Governor Dannel P. Malloy is holding a media briefing on the state’s preparations for the coming snowstorm at 6 p.m. this evening.
Connecticut Light & Power issued a statement saying they are prepared to respond to issues Nemo may bring.
“The company has activated its emergency response plan and is prepared for any possible power outages as the predicted heavy, wet snow and high winds have the potential to bring trees down onto power lines,” said the utility in a release issued earlier today.
Southbury’s local cable provider Charter is putting safeguards in place to stabilize its workforce and network in preparation for the storm’s impact.
"We are hoping for the best, but preparing for the worst," said Gregory A. Garabedian, Charter's Vice President and General Manager for New England. "We are tracking the storm’s path, and taking necessary precautions to ensure that our employees are prepared, in order to ensure any service interruptions to customers are limited."
Region 15 has yet to announce any school closures for Friday, as of 4:30 p.m. Thursday.
Visit Southbury Patch for all of your storm coverage before, during and after Winter Storm Nemo.
[Original Story]: 1:30 p.m., Feb. 7
The National Weather Service (NWS) is predicting heavy snowfall headed for Connecticut and the Southbury area Friday into Saturday, with snow showers beginning as early as Thursday night.
With between 12 to 16 inches of accumulation and strong wind gusts expected between Friday and Saturday afternoons, the NWS has issued a Winter Weather Watch and dubbed the storm Winter Storm Nemo.
As of 1:30 p.m. Thursday, Region 15 schools have yet to make a decision on whether to have a full day of classes on Friday, however schools throughout the state are expected to make announcements later Thursday afternoon.
Check back with Southbury Patch throughout the storm for real-time updates and important safety and emergency information.
As the snow comes down, be sure to add your photos and videos to our Neighborhood Gallery.