Details on the Walk of Light Remembrance Walk for Tucker Gowen were released by Region 15.
The walk will begin at 6:15 p.m. Thursday, Oct. 11, starting at the Pomperaug High School athletic track.
The walk which is open for to all. Walkers are requested to bring a flashlight or cell phone — no candles or lighters.
The Pomperaug High School student body, school administrators/teachers/staff, school band/singers, citizens of Middlebury and Southbury, school and community athletic teams, coaches and town leaders will be in attendance.
Pomperaug High School Senior Tucker Gowen, 18, bravely battled leukemia since March 2012. PHS students and staff, as well as members of the community, held many fundraisers in support of Tucker. He .
Walk of Light Schedule of Events
1. Arrival: A large banner will be hung for community members to sign, write messages, etc. Pens will be available.
The stadium lights will be on and then turned off prior to the processional. Bathrooms on the field will be unlocked and available, and security will be on-site. PHS swimmers and divers will arrive at 6 p.m. and gather outside at the swim locker room doors so they can walk down together.
2. Welcome: Pomperaug High School Principal Lorrie Rodrigue will start the speeches by welcoming everyone and outlining the events/activities for the evening. The following people and/or representatives are scheduled to give speeches:
- Southbury First Selectman Ed Edelson
- Katie Lloyd, PHS student
- PHS Swim Coach Fran Pentino
- PHS Swim Team Captains
- Student Band Representatives
3. Processional: Principal Lorrie Rodrigue will explain the processional. Processional will be led by members of the PHS Swim Team. PHS coaches from other teams will be available to help direct people, as the stadium lights will be off.
4. Music: The band / choral group will play a few of Tucker's favorite selections in the 900-seat athletic stands.
5. Coffee/Student Banner: When the music ends, attendees will be invited to view a banner in which PHS students wrote messages to Tucker. Starbucks donated coffee for a station that will be set up nearby.
Tucker Gowen, a Pomperaug High School student, passed away on Tuesday, Oct. 9, after a courageous battle with leukemia.
The Luck2Tuck Facebook page noted service information and a walk of remembrance.
Walk of Remembrance
"There will be a walk of light in remembrance of Tucker tomorrow night [Thursday, Oct. 11] at the PHS track and field. The walk will start at 6:30 p.m. Please bring a flashlight or cell phone - no candles or lighters please. We would ask that all swimmers and divers arrive for 6pm and gather outside at the swim locker room doors so they can walk down together. The walk is for all families to participate."
Calling hours will be from 3 to 8 p.m. Friday, Oct. 12, at the chapel in Sacred Heart Church in Southbury.
A funeral mass will be at Sacred Heart at 1 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 13. Refreshments will be served after mass in the church hall. A private burial will take place after the funeral mass.