Following the tragic school shooting that occurred at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown last week, Region 15 officials have implemented several security procedures to ensure student and faculty safety.
Superintendent Dr. Frank Sippy said in an effort to be responsive but not reactive to the shooting, Region 15 would implement the following processes effective immediately that will remain in place until further notice.
- At each school, all pedestrian traffic will have to access the building from the main entrance.
- All visitors will report to the office and must remain in the main office area.
- Visitors must leave any delivered items in the office and they will be delivered to the appropriate classroom.
- If personal delivery is required, the appropriate staff member or child will be located and that person will come to the office area.
- Parents requiring access to the school nurse will be escorted by a staff member or the nurse will bring the child to the office area.
The processes went into effect on Monday and will be evaluated and altered as the system progresses.
“The point is we want to limit visitor access to all parts of the school building,” said Sippy. “We will re-assess processes each day and shift accordingly.”